CARBON MONOXIDE: A SILENT KILLER CONTINUED
An excess of CO , leading to CO poisoning, can result from faulty furnaces or other heating appliances, portable generators, water heaters, clothes dryers or idling cars left running in garages. Taking some basic, precautionary steps can help eliminate the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. Protect yourself by reviewing the following tips provided by the United States Fire Administration.
- Have fuel burning appliances like oil and gas furnaces, gas or kerosene heaters, fireplaces, and wood stoves inspected by a trained professional every year.
- Open the damper for proper ventilation before using a fireplace. Never use your oven or stove-top to heat your home.
- Make sure all fuel burning equipment is vented to the outside to avoid CO poisoning. Keep the venting for exhaust clear and unblocked.
If you have questions or are in need of service, please call SERVPRO of Bear Creek at 281-463-9800. Stay tuned for the conclusion to Carbon Monoxide: A Silent Killer.
Source: Restoration Newsline, Volume 30, Issue 8