Storm and Floods
With hurricane season here your safety is essential, here are some tips from FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) on preparing for this hurricane season.
Before the flood
- Have qualified professionals elevate the furnace, water heater, and electric panel if susceptible to flooding.
- Install "check valves" in sewer traps to prevent flood water from backing up into the drains of your home or business.
During the flood
- Turn off utilities at the main switches or valves if instructed to do so.
- Disconnect electrical appliances.
- Do not touch electrical equipment if you are wet or standing on water.
- Do not walk through the moving water as you could be carried away.
After the flood
- Listen for news reports to learn if water supply is clean to drink.
- Avoid flood waters as it may contain harmful chemicals.
- Return home only when authorities indicate it is safe.
If your home is affected by a hurricane or flood, call SERVPRO of Bear Creek at (281) 463 9800